AskPhilaSD‎ > ‎

When should schools notify parents of a student's unexcused absence?

While it is recommended that the school respond to each unexcused/illegal absence, it is not until the third unexcused/illegal absence that a school must contact the parent in writing, using the Legal Notice (C-31).  All parental contact should be recorded in the Notes section of the student’s plan in the Response to Instruction and Intervention (RtII) component accessed via SchoolNet. 

For more information, call the Office of Attendance and Truancy at 215-400-4220 (Opt. 1) or visit: